eix is a tool for the Gentoo Linux
portage system. It uses indexing to allow quick searches through the package tree.
Some reasons for using eix:
- Fast indexing and searching
- Highly configurable output-format (with its own "language")
- Provides more information than most other search utilities (e.g. shows every available version, USE flags of available and emerged versions, ...)
- Shows stability/mask status of versions and how your local settings change it
- Helps you to manage your local /etc/portage/package.* settings in several ways (e.g. by finding "obsolete" entries by various criteria)
- Can import eix-files from other systems, e.g. to get a catalogue of overlays
- Cli with logical AND/OR (and braces), multiple matching algorithms (i.e. fuzzy search using levenshtein distance) and more
eix is in the portage tree, so you can simply install it with
The most current version of eix is always available as "HEAD" in the git master branch.
To get this version, emerge dev-vcs/git and then use the command
git clone git://github.com/vaeth/eix
For bugreports, please use the GitHub or the Gentoo bug system.
If you want to reach the current maintainer, please use email.
Best regards .. your code monkeys :)
- emerge -s|-S
- qsearch (app-portage/portage-utils)
- esearch (app-portage/esearch)