ALVR - Air Light VR
ALVR is an open source remote VR display for Gear VR and Oculus Go/Quest. With it, you can play SteamVR games in your standalone headset.
English | Japanese
Check the latest new about ALVR in Discord server
This repository is no longer maintained
This repository is not maintained for a long time.
Fork version is actively developed on the following repository.
Go is now supported on the repository as well as Quest/Quest2.
For GearVR users: You can get unmaintained version on this repository (See below).
ALVR streams VR display output from your PC to Gear VR / Oculus Go / Oculus Quest via Wi-Fi. This is similar to Riftcat or Trinus VR, but our purpose is optimization for Gear VR. ALVR provides smooth head-tracking compared to other apps in a Wi-Fi environment using Asynchronous Timewarp.
Note that many PCVR games require 6DoF controller or multiple buttons, so you might not able to play those games.
You can find playable games in List of tested VR games and experiences.
ALVR requires any of the following devices:
- Gear VR
- Oculus Go
- Oculus Quest
|Galaxy Note 8
- High-end gaming PC
- with NVIDIA GPU which supports NVENC (Supported GPUs)
- (or with AMD GPU which supports AMF VCE)
- Windows 10 is recommended
- Currently only NVIDIA GPU is supported on Windows 7
- 802.11n/ac wireless or ethernet wired connection
- It is recommended to use 802.11ac for the headset and ethernet for PC
- You need to connect both to the same router
Install ALVR server for PC
- Install SteamVR
- Download installer from Releases
- Run the installer
- Open ALVR Launcher
Install ALVR client for headset
For Quest: Install from apk
For GearVR and Go: Oculus Store
You can download ALVR Client from Oculus Store with key.
Open the key distribution page on your smartphone and follow the instruction.
- ALVR is no longer available on Oculus Store. Use apk method instead. See issue 695
For GearVR: Install from apk
- It's a very complex method to install and I can't support it. Try googling for detail.
- Get osig file from oculus website
- Install Apk Editor
- Download apk from Releases
- Open apk and put osig file on assets folder
- Build and install
- Launch ALVR.exe
- Press "Start Server" button or launch VR game
- SteamVR's small window will appear. You should see a headset icon in the SteamVR status window that looks like a green block with a bold S in the middle
- Launch ALVR Client in your headset
- IP Address of headset will appear in the server tab of ALVR.exe
- Press "Connect" button
- Execute driver_uninstall.bat in the driver folder
- Delete the install folder (ALVR does not use the registry)
- If you already deleted the folder without executing driver_uninstall.bat:
- Open C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\openvr\openvrpaths.vrpath and check install directory
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win32\vrpathreg.exe" removedriver (install folder)
in Command Prompt
- SteamVR dashboard to control ALVR
- Cloud streaming
ALVR Server and GUI (Launcher)
- Open ALVR.sln with Visual Studio 2017 and build
- alvr_server project is the driver for SteamVR written in C++
- ALVR project is the launcher GUI written in C#
- Clone ALVR Client
- Put your osig file on assets folder (only for Gear VR)
- Build with Android Studio
- Install apk via adb
ALVR is licensed under MIT License.
If you like this project, please donate!
Donate by paypal
If you could not use this link, please try the following.
- Login your paypal account
- Open "Send and request" tab
- Click "Pay for goods or services"
- Put "[email protected]" (it is my paypal account) and click next
Donate by bitcoin