Unity URP Simplified Toon Lit Shader Example (for you to learn writing custom lit shader in URP)
This repository is NOT the full version shader.
Currently, this repository is just a very simple and short shader example, only for tutorial purposes, it is under MIT license so you can do whatever you want with the code.
If you want to keep the current tutorial shader, please fork it or download a copy now since it may be removed in the future.
We are now developing a "easy-to-use + high-performance + cross-platform(include mobile)" Closed source toon shader package - NiloToonURP,
to meet the toon shading needs of most URP's user.
NiloToonURP is tested and working correctly on
- Unity 2019.4LTS(URP 7.4.1 or above)
- Unity 2020.3LTS(URP 10.4.0 or above)
- Unity 2021.1.18f1(URP 11.0.0)
Download NiloToonURP PC .exe demo (2020.3LTS build):
Download NiloToonURP Android .apk demo (2020.3LTS build):
NiloToonURP's demo runtime video:
NiloToonURP user's creations (public media, not NDA contents)
(we only provided NiloToonURP's download permission + tech support, we didn't work on these creations directly)
Nijisanji & bilibili - VirtuaReal (
How to get NiloToonURP full source code?
If you or your company/organization/team needs:
- latest full source code (with all detail comments and notes, NOT Obfuscated code, NOT .dll)
- latest user document
- perpetual royalty-free commercial license
- every future update
- (optional) we set up your character models's rendering in the best way possible for you, using NiloToonURP
- (optional) tech support
- (optional) your project-specific customization and support
of NiloToonURP for your URP project, please send the following info to [email protected]
- name (your personal name or your company/organization/team's name)
- a google account email for gaining permission to download all NiloToonURP files in google drive
- any public website that shows your/your company/organization/team's work or public media
Other NiloToonURP's images (gallery)
see it in motion-> https://youtu.be/D9ocVzGJfI8
3D enviroment model TEST
湊 あくあ（みなと あくあ，Minato Aqua） model TEST
see it in motion->
Auto Phong tessellation
(shader on, no tessellation)
(shader on, enable tessellation! Phong tessellation can make your model smooth without changing your .fbx)
see it in motion-> https://youtu.be/D-MxyBa0nJE
(shader off, no tessellation)
Kawaii model TEST (@ganbaru_sisters)
Upgraded to Unity2020.2 (URP 10.2.1)
(more shadow from trees)
add 2D hair shadow & rim light
see it in motion->
see it in motion->
Sunny + StreetLight ON
Sunny + StreetLight OFF
Night + StreetLight ON
Night + StreetLight OFF
see it in motion -> https://youtu.be/jDSnJmZrKPw
see it in motion -> https://youtu.be/EgxiWPk-vaE
Fake Skin SSS & specular
What is included in this "simplified version" toon lit shader repository?
This repository contains a very simple toon lit shader example, to help people writing their first custom toon lit shader in URP.
This example shader's default result(without editing material params) = the following picture
Because this example toon lit shader aims to help people learning shader writing in URP, it is an extremely simplified version of the full version one. This repository only contains ~10% of the full version shader, which only contains the most useful & easy to understand sections, to make sure everyone can understand the shader code easily.
It is actually a "How to write your first custom lit shader in URP" example, instead of a good-looking toon lit shader example (lots of toon lit tricks are not included in this example shader, for tutorial reason).
Why creating this "simplified version" toon lit shader?
Lots of my shader friends are looking for a toon lit example shader in URP (not Shader Graph), I want them to switch to URP with me (instead of still staying in built-in RP), so I decided to provide a simple enough URP toon lit shader example.
How to try this simplified toon lit example shader in my URP project?
- Clone all .shader & .hlsl files into your URP project.
- Put these files inside the same folder.
- Change your character's material's shader to "SimpleURPToonLitExample(With Outline)"
- make sure at least _BaseMap(albedo) is assigned
- setup DONE, you can now test your character with light probe/directional light/point light/spot light
- edit the material properties to see how the render result changes
- Most important: open these shader files, spend some time reading them, you will understand how to write custom lit shader in URP very quickly
- Most important: open "SimpleURPToonLitOutlineExample_LightingEquation.hlsl", edit it, experiment with your own toon lighting equation ideas, which is the key part of toon lit shader!
I see the shader is working now, but the outline is broken?
For this tutorial shader, you can let Unity to calculate smooth normal for you, which can produce better outline,
but doing this will make lighting slightly incorrect.
- click your character's .fbx
- In the model tab
- edit "Normals" to Calculate
- edit "Smoothing Angle" to 180
before calculate smooth normal (printscreen of tutorial shader, not NiloToonURP)
after calculate smooth normal (printscreen of tutorial shader, not NiloToonURP)
*NiloToonURP contains a few editor C# scripts, which can help the shader to produce correct lighting and perfect outline together.
What is NOT included in this simplified example shader?
For simplicity reason, I removed most of the features from the NiloToonURP (deleted 90% of the original shader), else this example shader will be way too complex for reading & learning. The removed features are:
- face anime lighting (auto-fix face ugly lighting due to vertex normal without modifying .fbx, very important)
- smooth outline normal auto baking (fix ugly outlines without modifying .fbx once you attach a script on character, very important)
- auto 2D hair shadow on face (very important, it is very difficult to produce good looking shadow result using shadowmap)
- sharp const width rim light (Blue Protocol / Genshin Impact)
- tricks to render eye/eyebrow over hair
- hair "angel ring" reflection
- PBR specular lighting (GGX)
- HSV control shadow & outline color
- 2D mouth renderer
- almost all the extra texture input options like roughness, specular, normal map, detail map...
- LOTS of sliders to control lighting, final color & outline
- per character "dither fadeinout / rim light / tint / lerp..." control script
- volume override control of global "dither fadeinout / rim light / tint / lerp..."
- anime postprocessing
- auto phong tessellation
- perspective removal per character
- ***just too much for me to write all removed feature here, the full / lite version shader is a totally different level product
How to get a test character model?
The easiest way to get a character model is by downloading Unity-Chan in the assetstore.
Also, here are some websites that can download models(If the creator allows it)
if you downloaded a .pmx file, use MMD4Mecanim to convert it to .fbx & prefab directly inside unity
if you downloaded a .vrm file, use UniVRM to convert it to .fbx & prefab directly inside unity
Editor environment requirement
Apply our shader to another model (2020-2 early version screen shots)
More old screenshots from the Full version shader(not yet released):
different Background image TEST
model's creator in shader demo image/video: