Loopa News - Yet Another URL Sharing App ⚡
Loopa News is an open source social news app (ala Hacker News) built from scratch with Phoenix, Vue, Vue Router and Vuex. Inspired by Microscope, a popular tutorial app developed with Meteor.
Loopa News is basically a realtime URL sharing app that pretends to serve as a mid size example to learn how to build modern reactive SPAs. In this project you will find how to implement important features/services such as:
- User Accounts (Sign Up, Sign In, Sign Out & Change Password)
- Authentication with JSON Web Tokens
- Reactive RESTful APIs 
- Realtime notifications & alerts
- Comments with Markdown support
- Edit comments with Markdown preview
- Pagination & many more...
 React to model changes from the controller and broadcast them to all the clients subscribed to a particular Phoenix channel.
Demo available here.
To start this application locally:
- Make sure you have installed Elixir, Erlang, Phoenix, Node and PostgreSQL
- Install the Mix dependencies:
$ mix deps.get
- Create, migrate and seed the development database:
$ mix ecto.setup
- Start the Phoenix Server:
$ mix phoenix.server or
$ iex -S mix phoenix.server
- Install the NPM packages
$ cd client/ && npm install
- Start the Express development server:
$ npm run dev
To build the frontend for production:
- In the client directory, run
$ npm run build (this will execute the
build/build.js script and will copy the produced files to the
To deploy this application on Heroku:
- Follow this guide in the Phoenix website.