WSO2 API Manager (WSO2 API-M) is a powerful platform for creating, managing, consuming, and monitoring web APIs. It combines tried and tested SOA best practices with modern day API management principles to solve a wide range of enterprise challenges associated with API provisioning, governance, and integration.
WSO2 API Manager consists of several loosely coupled modules.
* API Publisher * API Developer Portal * API Gateway * API Key Manager * API Traffic Manager
The API publisher module allows API publishers to easily define APIs and manage them using a strong governance model that consists of well-established concepts such as, versioning and lifecycles. API consumers can use the API Developer Portal to discover published, production-ready APIs and access them in a secure and reliable manner using unique API keys. The built-in API Gateway module provides powerful tools to secure and control the load on individual APIs.
WSO2 API Manager is based on the revolutionary WSO2 Carbon [Middleware a' la carte] framework. All the major features have been developed as reusable Carbon components.
To learn more about WSO2 API Manager please visit http://wso2.com/products/api-manager.
- Graphical experience similar to Android Marketplace or Apple App Store. - Browse APIs by provider, tags, or name. - Self-registration to developer community to subscribe to APIs. - Subscribe to APIs and manage subscriptions on per-application basis. - Subscriptions can be at different service tiers based on the expected usage levels. - Role based access to API Developer Portal, which helps to manage public and private APIs. - Manage subscriptions per-developer. - Browse API documentation, download helpers for easy consumption. - Comment on and rate APIs. - Forum for discussing API usage issues (Available soon in a future version). - Try APIs directly on the Developer Portal. - Internationalization (i18n) support.
- Publish APIs to external consumers and partners, as well as internal users. - Supports publishing multiple protocols including SOAP, REST, JSON, and XML style services as APIs. - Manage API versions and deployment status by version. - Govern the API lifecycle (publish, deprecate, retire). - Attach documentation (files, external URLs) to APIs. - Provision and Manage API keys. - Track consumers per API. - One-click deployment to API Gateway for immediate publishing.
- Apply Security policies to APIs (authentication and authorization). - Rely on OAuth2 standard for API access (implicit, authorization code, client, SAML, IWA Grant type). - Restrict API access tokens to domains/IPs. - Block a subscription and restrict a complete application. - Associate API available to system defined service tiers. - Leverage XACML for entitlements management and fine grained authorization. - Configure Single Sign-On (SSO) using SAML 2.0 for easy integration with existing web apps. - Powered by WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus (WSO2 ESB).
- Supports API authentication with OAuth2. - Extremely high performance pass-through message routing with sub-millisecond latency. - Enforce rate limiting and throttling policies for APIs by consumer. - Horizontally scalable with easy deployment into cluster using proven routing infrastructure. - Scales to millions of developers/users. - Capture all statistics and push to pluggable analytics system. - Configure API routing policies with capabilities of WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus. - Powered by WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus.
- Self-sign up for API consumption. - Manage user account including resetting password. - Developer interaction with APIs via comments and ratings. - Support for developer communication via forums (Available soon in a future version). - Powered by WSO2 Identity Server (WSO2 IS).
- Manage API lifecycle from cradle to grave: create, publish, block, deprecate, and retire. - Publish both production and sandbox keys for APIs to enable easy developer testing. - Publish APIs to partner networks such as ProgrammableWeb (Available soon in a future version). - Powered by WSO2 Governance Registry (WSO2 G-Reg).
- All API usage published to pluggable analytics framework. - Out-of-the-box support for the WSO2 Analytics Platform and Google Analytics. - View metrics by user, API, and more. - Customized reporting via plugging reporting engines. - Monitor SLA compliance. - Powered by WSO2 Data Analytics Server (WSO2 DAS).
- All components are highly customizable through styling, theming, and open source code. - Developer Portal implemented with React. - Pluggable to third-party analytics systems and billing systems (Available soon in a future version). - Pluggable to existing user stores including JDBC and LDAP. - Components usable separately. - Developer Portal can be used to front APIs that are routed through third-party gateways such as, Intel Expressway Service Gateway. - Support for Single Sign On (SSO) using SAML 2.0 for easy integration with existing web apps.
- Role based access control (RBAC) for managing users and their authorization levels. - Developer Portal can be deployed in DMZ for external access with the Publisher inside the firewall for private control. - Different user stores for developer focused Developer Portal and internal operations in the publisher. - Integrates with enterprise identity systems including LDAP and Microsoft Active Directory. - Gateway can be deployed in DMZ with controlled access to WSO2 Identity Server (for authentication/authorization) and governance database behind a firewall.
- Run a single instance and provide API Management to multiple customers. - Share APIs between different departments in a large enterprise.
- Document an API using Swagger. - Restrict API access tokens to domains/IPs. - Ability to block a subscription and restricting a complete application. - Ability to revoke access tokens. - Separate validity period configuration for application access token. - OAuth2 authorization code grant type support. - Configuring execution point of mediation extensions.
- Improved dashboard for monitoring usage statistics (Filtering data for a date range, More visually appealing widgets).
On-line product documentation is available at: https://apim.docs.wso2.com/en/latest/
WSO2 Inc. offers a variety of development and production support programs, ranging from Web-based support up through normal business hours, to premium 24x7 phone support.
For additional support information please refer to http://wso2.com/support
For more information on WSO2 API Manager please visit https://wso2.com/api-management/
All known issues of WSO2 API Manager are filed at:
Help us make our software better. Please submit any bug reports or feature requests through GitHub:
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. See http://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric algorithms. The form and manner of this Apache Software Foundation distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object code and source code.
The following provides more details on the included cryptographic software:
(c) Copyright 2020 WSO2 Inc.