Tindroid: Tinode Messaging Client for Android
Android instant messenger using Tinode backend. Beta-quality software.
Debug APKs are available in releases.
- One-on-one conversations and group chats.
- Channels with unlimited number of read-only subscribers.
- In-app presence notifications.
- Unread message counters.
- Push notifications.
- Message status notifications: message delivery to server; received and read notifications; typing notifications.
- Markdown-style formatting of text, e.g. *styled* → styled. Implemented as spannable.
- Attachments and inline images.
- Muting/un-muting conversations and other granular permission management.
- Integration with Android's stock Contacts.
- Invite contacts to the app by SMS or email.
- Transport Level Security - https/wss.
- Offline mode is mostly functional.
Not done yet:
- End-to-end encryption.
- No support for switching between multiple backends.
- Mentions, hashtags.
- Replying or forwarding messages.
- Previews not generated for videos, audio, links or docs.
SDK contains no Android-specific dependencies.
Demo avatars and some other graphics are from https://www.pexels.com/ under CC0 license.
Background patterns from http://subtlepatterns.com/, commercial and non-commercial use allowed with attribution.
contacts.vcf contains a list of contacts which can be used for testing. Push it to your emulator using command
adb push contacts.vcf /sdcard/contacts.vcf`
If you want to use the app with your own server and want push notification to work you have to set them up:
- Register at https://firebase.google.com/, set up the project if you have not done so already.
Download your own config file
google-services.json and place it to the
app/ folder of your copy of Tindroid project. The config file contains keys specific to your Firebase/FCM registration.
- Copy Google-provided server key to
tinode.conf, see details here.
- Recompile the app. If you add
google-services.json incorrectly the app will compile but will later crash with non-obvious exceptions.
The app is currently available in the following languages:
- Chinese (simplified)
Pull requests with more translations are welcome. See Russian and Chinese translations as examples.