Zemeroth is a turn-based hexagonal tactical game written in Rust.
News: @ozkriff on twitter |
devlog on imgur
You can play an online WebAssembly version of Zemeroth at
Precompiled binaries for Linux, Windows and macOS:
The initial vision
of the project is:
- Random-based skirmish-level digital tabletop game;
- Single player only;
- 3-6 fighters under player’s control;
- Small unscrollable maps;
- Relatively short game session (under an hour);
- Simple vector 2d graphics with just 3-5 sprites per unit;
- Reaction attacks and action’s interruption;
- Highly dynamic (lots of small unit moves as a side effect of other events);
- Intentionally stupid and predictable AI;
[ ] Phase One: Linear Campaign Mode
An extended prototype focused just on tactical battles.
- [x] v0.4
- [x] Basic gameplay with reaction attacks
- [x] Minimal text-based GUI
- [x] Basic agent abilities: jumps, bombs, dashes, etc
- [x] v0.5
- [x] Basic campaign mode
- [x] Armor and Break stats (#70)
- [x] Dynamic blood splatters (#86)
- [x] Web version
- [x] Tests
- [x] Hit chances
- [x] v0.6
- [x] Agent upgrades (#399)
- [x] Flip agent sprites horizontally when needed (#115)
- [x] Multiple sprites per agent type (#114)
- [ ] GUI icons (#276)
- [ ] Sound & Music (#221)
- [ ] Reduce text overlapping (#214)
- [ ] Move back after a successful dodge (#117)
- [ ] Easing (#26)
- [ ] Path selection (#280,
- [ ] Intermediate bosses
- [ ] Main boss
- [ ] Neutral agents (#393)
- [ ] Weight component (#291)
- [ ] Basic inventory system: slots for artifacts
- [ ] Ranged units
- [ ] More agent types
- [ ] More passive abilities that allow agents to make actions
during enemy's turn
- [ ] More complex multieffect abilities/actions
- [ ] Guide (#451)
- [ ] Save/load (#28)
- [ ] Android version
[ ] Phase Two: Strategy Mode
A not-so-linear strategic layer will be added on top of tactical battles.
Simple non-linear story and meta-gameplay.
- [ ] Global map
- [ ] Dialog system
- [ ] Quest system
- [ ] NPC/Agent/Masters system
Tactical battle mechanics are mostly inspired by these games:
Building from Source
Install all miniquad's system dependencies.
cargo install resvg
cargo install resvg
rustup target add wasm32-unknown-unknown
cargo install basic-http-server
http://localhost:4000 in your browser.
The key external dependency of Zemeroth is macroquad/miniquad.
This repo contains a bunch of helper crates:
zcomponents is a simple component storage
zgui is a simple and opinionated GUI library
zscene is a simple scene and declarative animation manager
Also, resvg is used for exporting sprites from svg.
If you want to help take a look at issues with
help-wanted label attached:
Unless you explicitly state otherwise, any contribution intentionally submitted
for inclusion in the work by you, as defined in the Apache-2.0 license,
shall be dual licensed as above, without any additional terms or conditions.
Zemeroth is distributed under the terms of both
the MIT license and the Apache License (Version 2.0).
See LICENSE-APACHE and LICENSE-MIT for details.
Zemeroth's text logo is based on the "Old London" font
by Dieter Steffmann.