Rapid bay is a self hosted video service/torrent client that makes playing videos from torrents as easy as:
- Opening the webapp on a phone/laptop/tablet/smartTV.
- Searching for content.
- Selecting desired video file.
- Waiting for Download/Conversion.
- Playing on the device or cast to AppleTV/Chromecast
- Uses Jackett as a search backend.
- Pick individual video files you want to play and the system takes care of the rest to make it streamable.
- Automatic download of Closed Captions/Subtitles
- Automatically converts the video file and subtitles to be playable on all browsers/chromecast/appletv
- Automatically converts audio that is unsupported by browsers to AAC
- Allows registering as a handler for any magnet link
- Automatically cleans up disk space so you don't need to manage it yourself
Setting up Jackett as a search backend:
Rapidbay requires the torrent indexer Jackett for searching.
Have a look here on how to set it up using Docker.
There's also a docker-compose example file to show how you can connect rapidbay and jackett together.
docker run -p 5000:5000 -e JACKETT_HOST="http://your.jacket.host" -e JACKETT_API_KEY="YourAPIKey" hauxir/rapidbay
App will be running at http://localhost:5000
Configuring which subtitles to download:
The default setting downloads english subtitles.
Add the env variable SUBTITLE_LANGUAGES to your docker params like so to get more languages:
-e SUBTITLE_LANGUAGES="['en', 'de', 'es']"
Require a password:
Add the env variable PASSWORD to your docker params like so to prompt for a password when opening rapidbay:
Registering as a handler for any magnet link:
- Go to https://<RAPIDBAY_HOST>/registerHandler and it should prompt you to register your running RapidBay instance as a default handler for torrent links on any torrent site!
- You can also copy/paste a magnet link directly into the search bar to open magnet links manually.
Requires Docker + docker-compose
Running RapidBay on a VPS
Setting RapidBay up on a VPS and tunnel torrent traffic through NordVPN