🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷
squeeze-alexa is a codebase for creating your own Amazon Alexa Skill to communicate with Logitech Media Server ("squeezebox") using a NAS or home server.
See the original announcement blog post,
and the follow-up with videos.
Aims & Features
- Intuitive voice control over common music scenarios
- Low latency (given that it's a cloud service), i.e. fast at reacting to your commands.
- Decent security, remaining under your own control
- Extensive support for choosing songs by (multiple) genres, and playlists
- Up-to-date with (some) changes and new features from Alexa and Amazon.
- Helpful, conversational responses / interaction in several languages.
- 🆕 Support a variety of networks including restrictive firewalls (or 3G / 4G broadband with CGNAT)
Things it is not
- Full coverage of all LMS features, plugins or use cases - but it aims to be good at what it does.
- A public / multi-user skill. This means you will need Alexa and AWS developer accounts.
- A native LMS (Squeezeserver) plugin. So whilst this would be cool, at least there's no need to touch your LMS.
- Easy to set up 😱 (it's getting easier though with more setup automation)
- Funded or officially supported by anyone - it's an open-source project,
so please help out if think you can.
- British English 🇬🇧
- American English 🇺🇸
- German 🇩🇪
- 🆕 French 🇫🇷
These should all work (usually) in the current version.
Most commands can take a player name, or will remember the default / last player if not specified.
Alexa, tell Squeezebox to play / pause (or just Alexa, play / pause!)
Alexa, tell Squeezebox next / previous (or just Alexa, next / previous!)
Alexa, tell Squeezebox to skip (or just Alexa, skip!)
Alexa, tell Squeezebox to turn shuffle on / off (or just Alexa, Shuffle On/Off)
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to select the Bedroom player
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to turn it down in the Living Room
- Alexa, ask Squeezebox to pump it up!
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to turn everything off
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to play some Blues and some Jazz
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to play a mix of Jungle, Dubstep and Hip-Hop
- Alexa, ask Squeezebox to play my Sunday Morning playlist
- Alexa, tell Squeezebox to play the Bad-Ass Metal playlist!
- Alexa, ask Squeezebox what's playing [in the Kitchen]
- Alexa, frage Squeezebox was ist das für ein Lied?
- Alexa, frage Squeezebox alles ausschalten
- Alexa, demande à Squeezebox de baisser le volume!
- Alexa, demande à Squeezebox qu'est ce qu'on écoute dans le salon
See the HOWTO for the full details of installing and configuring your own squeeze-alexa instance, or TROUBLESHOOTING if you're getting stuck.
squeeze-alexa is an open source project licensed under GPLv3 (or later).
If you'd like to help test, translate, or develop it, see the Github issues and read CONTRIBUTING.