Gitcoin Grows Open Source. Learn more at https://gitcoin.co
This is the website that is live at gitcoin.co
master branch - staging
stable branch - live on gitcoin.co
How to interact with this repo
Table of Contents
Star and watch this github repository to stay up to date, we're pushing new code several times per week!
Check out the CHANGELOG for details about recent changes to this repository.
Check out the available open issues on Gitcoin.
What is Gitcoin?
Functionally, the app has several key features:
- Smart Contracts -- Where funded issues are stored and indexed.
- Brochureware -- Describes the project.
- Funded Issue Explorer -- A searchable index of all of the work available in the system.
- Funded Issue Submission / Acceptance flow -- Interface between the application and web3.
- API - the HTTPS API
- Bot - the GitcoinBot
More about how/why to interact with web3 here.
Technically, the system is architected:
Web3 The main source of truth for the system is the Ethereum blockchain. Check out the smart contracts.
Web2 This part of the app is built with Python, Django, Postgres, and a handful of other tools that are common in the web2 ecosystem.
Brochureware Just a nice little landing page telling folks what the Gitcoin project is.
For more information on the HTTPS API, please view the api README
With Docker (Recommended)
For more information on running the app locally, please view the documentation for running gitcoinco/web with Docker
For more information on running the app locally, please view the documentation for running gitcoinco/web without Docker
Overriding Application Defaults
For more information on overriding the local dev environment configuration defaults, please view the environment variables documentation
Trying out Gitcoin
Posting your first issue
- have some work on your Github Issues board that you don't have time (or skills) to do.
- are dependant upon an upstream repo for something, and you'd like to incentivize them to work on it.
try posting a funded issue at https://gitcoin.co/new.
Testimonials & Case Studies
Integrating the 'available work widget' into your repository
This widget will help you advertise that you support Gitcoin bounties, so that your community knows the best place to contribute.
Check out the widget documentation to learn how
Adding GitcoinBot to your repo
Gitcoinbot will allow you to add issues straight from github.
Check out the gitcoinbot readme to learn how
Adding your token to Gitcoin
Have an ERC20 compatible token that you'd like to use on the platform? Great! Submit this form to submit it to the system
High Level flows...
This is the high level flow of a bounty on Gitcoin:
Chain of Custody
- Bounty Funder's Wallet
StandardBounties Smart Contract deployed at 0x2af47a65da8cd66729b4209c22017d6a5c2d2400
- (Submission Made)
- (Submission Accepted)
- Recipient's Wallet
Anywhere between 2 and 4 above, Funder may withdraw their funds via 'Cancel Bounty' function for any reason.
We may introduce arbitration at some point in the future. Until then, we are lucky that Github users are very protective of their reputation, and therefore very kind to each other, and disputes have not generally arisen.
Showing Support to Individuals
- A free, fast way to show immediate gratitude towards an individual via github username or email address
- Showcases special skills and appreciation towards other Gitcoin members.
This is the high level flow of a tip on Gitcoin:
- Crowdfunded bounties + bulk payouts are secured by Tips (at least until Standard Bounties 2.0 is released).
- Kudos are also secured by Tips