Bforartists is a fork of the popular 3D software Blender, with the goal to improve the graphical UI, and to increase the usability.
The project page, the binary downloads and further information can be found at the project page: https://www.bforartists.de/
Please use the tracker to add issues, bug reports and requests. The tracker can be found here: https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/issues
Why choose Bforartists, and not Blender? Because we have the better UI!
The main Differences between Bforartists 2 and Blender 2.8x are:
- A own keymap, which is reduced to just the necessary hotkeys and a navigation that can be purely done by mouse.
- Cleaned up User Interface. Lots of not necessary double, triple or even more equal menu entries removed.
- Extended User Interface. Lots of formerly hotkey only tools have a menu entry now.
- Rearranged User Interface. Some things are better accessible now, some are not so much in the way anymore.
- Colored and as double as much icons than Blender.
- A configurable Toolbar with icon buttons.
- Improved Layouts.
- Left aligned checkboxes and text where possible.
- Better Tooltips.
- Better readable standard theme.
- Some neat addons to improve usability, like the reset 3D View addon or the Set Dimensions addon with which you can scale in world coordinates in edit mode.
- And lots more small details like not so much confirm dialogs.
- A detailed list of the changes can be found in the release notes: www.bforartists.de/wiki/release-notes
But the code is just half of the show. Another important bit are the non code things.
- The target audience for Bforartists are hobbyists and indie developers. Blender tries to target professionals. But most of them don’t care for various reasons.
- We have a improved manual. The Blender manual is in big parts unsearchable, has an odd structure, and still now relies heavily at the Blender keymap to name just a few flaws. This makes it nearly unusable for users. And that’s why we rewrite it, piece by piece.
- We are not not bound to the Blender bubble. Bforartists has its own eco system.
This youtube video describes the differences by showing them.
Here's a Youtube playlist with some quickstart videos:
This list is currently incomplete, we are in the process to update the documentation to Bforartists 2. So here you can still find the quickstart videos for the older version:
For those who are willing and interested to help with the manual, we have a Github repository for it too. You can find it here:
Have fun :)
The Bforartists team